Miss Jennie M. Higbee arrived in Bluff City in the late 1800s to teach – first at St. Mary’s School, followed by a decade at Female High School – before being named head, in 1875, of the newly established Presbyterian Grammar and High School. Its evolution proved epic in the ensuing years.
The moniker morphed into Miss Higbee’s High School in 1879. By 1882, The Higbee School was one of the South’s leading educational institutions for young women.
Higbee’s motto, “Not many things, but much,” remained very much alive until her death in 1903 (at the age of 64); the school subsequently shuttered in 1910.
– Hannah Van Sickle, The Memphis 100