Downtown Memphis is a living history lesson, complete with a beloved riverfront and the last functioning cobblestone port in the country.
Most of the Memphis Landing was built between 1844-1856, with immigrant workers laying the stones. Construction resumed post-Civil War in 1866, with some improvements completed around 1881. The next 50 years would solidify Memphis as a major river port for the cotton and hardwood markets.
In 2011, the landing was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The Memphis River Parks Partnership recently announced that restorations would begin this fall, with plans to replace many cobblestones by hand.
– Kristie Coggins, The 100 Companies